November 23, 2009

Night Time Venting

When I read that other babies are sleeping 12 hours at night, it is hard not to get jealous. But this PERFECT child of ours that God graciously gave us isn't any different in my eyes just because we can't classify him as an easy baby or one that I read about in the books. OH THE BOOKS... I'm about the throw 'em out. They only make me worry and feel frustrated. While we try all the suggestions, I have learned that you can't expect all babies to sleep through the night at the same age because each child is unique and different. And these crazy authors who have idealistic views must have never had a baby of their own with colic, gas, and acid reflux. So there. I put it out there. I'm done with the books...They have tried to take away the joy of infant-hood from me and I won't let them do that. =) The Lord just thought we were strong enough to handle the challenges of my high risk pregnancy, insane delivery, a week long NICU stay, and now a little one who isn't an easy sleeper. BUT being blessed with a baby at all is something Jeff and I treasure and give thanks for. Will is thriving and meeting all of his milestones, so who cares about sleeping through the night. He WILL do it eventually. In the long run, these difficult nights will seem like forever ago. We may even look back and laugh at ourselves and how I even fell down the stairs one night in my sleep deprived stupor (thankfully I was not holding Will)! For now, I'm going to love each moment, even the tired ones. =)

2 comments:

Emily said...

What a great outlook!!!! I have to tell you - Liam STILL doesn't sleep through the night consistently- and he's been a pretty easy baby thus far... We usually get up once a night to soothe the little fella (and it's usually with food).

We have the same attitude as you - it will happen when it's time. I read all the books, tried all the methods - they just make you feel like you're a failure (at least they did me)...so Will and I decided we didn't mind getting up once and when he wanted to sleep through the night he would...

Hang in there!

Matt, Jen, & Braden said...

Alyson-

You have such a great attitude about everything!! I feel your pain and frustration...we dealt with infertility for years, had a high risk pregnancy and then had a little guy who has endured minor problem after minor problem, including severe reflux and gas. As I'm sure you can understand, his issues aren't minor in our eyes, but I know in comparison to what he/we could have to deal with, they truly are just minor problems.

I totally agree, it can be so difficult when you see/hear of other babies who are always happy, healthy, and sleep like champs. I'm still dealing with this now that Braden is 2 and still frequently waking up in the night. However, it helps to hear someone as positive as you who remembers to keep everything in perspective. It sounds like you are doing an AMAZING job of appreciating little Will and all of his wonderful qualities!! Sorry for the book :-) I will be praying for you and Will.

Jen D